gnoppix-devel

[Gnoppix-devel] Re: Compressed Memory, Feature Enhancements

From: John Richard Moser
Subject: [Gnoppix-devel] Re: Compressed Memory, Feature Enhancements
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:41:37 -0400

Denis Vlasenko wrote:
| On Sunday 26 September 2004 21:19, John Richard Moser wrote:

[...]

| Third thing: fix the programs so they all fit on one CD.

Sure.   I hate openoffice (seriously), get me AbiWord and Gnumeric.

Of course the next guy loves OO.o for some reason I can't understand.

[...]

| Did I get you right - are you basically saying
| "I want someone to fix and submit to lkml for inclusion to mainline
| the compressed pagacache patch" ?

More like, "I want someone to upport and fix up compressed pagecache,
because it's useful; maybe later when the 2.7 development period comes
around it can make mainline."

It'd be very useful to Gnoppix/Knoppix/etc.  Ram is not cheap.  It costs
money to get the ram, you have to have available ram slots, you may have
to discard some older sticks (256 + 256 on a mobo with 2 slots, you
can't just buy another 512 to get a gig), and you have to A) Know how to
install it, or B) pay $90 to have it installed.

If you're the [GK]noppix type, you probably fall in (B) above.  You may
even fall into C) This isn't my computer and I can't expand the ram.
This is also faced with D) I don't have a swap partition and/or E) I'm
not touching the hard disk because I have NFC what I'm doing/This isn't
my computer.

Also, the compressed cache patch was generally a damn good idea.  The
LiveCD example just illustrates that there are cases where its
usefulness is even more stressed.  I've justified my point here, instead
of simply whining that something I think is cool should get more attention.

| --
| vda

- --