gnoppix-devel

Re: [Gnoppix-devel] Re: GNOPPIX maintenance

From: Andreas Mueller
Subject: Re: [Gnoppix-devel] Re: GNOPPIX maintenance
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 14:53:42 +0100

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 03:53:26PM +0100, Sven Herzberg wrote:

> Am Sa, den 01.11.2003 schrieb cyberdune um 16:48:
> > Thats fine.. I am trying to write a new installer,
>
>   Well, and I already started to. If you and amu would please start
> using cvs like cvs is used in almost any non-trivial free software
> project. There are two installers in CVS, the one currently being used

both 2 installer are unmaintained, the knoppix forc from fabian
has no maintainer, it will not work well. Cause of this, Markus start
a new once, if this fails also i`ll take the KDE-installer from Ralf.

> and the one i'm working on. I'm just going to switch the language of
> implementation from C to ruby the week after the next one.

:) Herzi please understand, after 10 month, and no line code
i must look for another possibility. It sounds for me, you cant
finish it. We are so less people, if you disscuss 10 month more,
there is no code, but we had a nice talk, that is not acceptable.
Rather in gnoppix you must work, submitt your changes, in your
case, the desktop, as gnoppix moved to 0.6 your are far away,
so i did it for myself. This isnt also acceptable. In such a
importend possition, it impossible to submerge for weeks
and the development stops.

We say, work and harvest, then the fame comes. However without any
something productive contributed to the project, you demand here only,
you would like your right, I think its somewhat glaring. i suggest,
work hard, then i will listen to you. If you cant invest your
time into gnoppix, wait, solve your private problems and join if you
are ready and if you have enought time.

As example I would like to say to you, Ralf Nolden from KDE
contributed substantially more to gnoppix than you.

I hate it to waste with such nonsense my time but it must probably be.

> > Explain me exactly what you mean, please. As we have webCVS, I think,
> > we are rather more open to the community than Knoppix!
>
> cool, webcvs rocks if cvs is not used. please guys, create cvs modules
> for gnoppix-related stuff and create debian packages from that.
>
> > I am working on that. I wrote three scripts to automate the process.
>
> And where are they? in cvs? to be seen via webcvs?
>
> > Know I am working out the way to write a prog out from that.
> > You all (members) will get that at FIRST!! (in a few days)
>
> Guys, please start thinking in the community way. Release early, release
> often. (and release PUBLICALLY)

:) you are working since 10 months on the installer, i checked out
the code, but there is no line code.

> > > Then we  will have  an efficient project  management.  Please  take this
> > > advice into consideration, try to merge  and share your work with others
> > > because you  know that  when an  OSS project is  not well  managed, some
> > > people take your work and fork a new project.

Thats another problem, the intern list is setuped, before an offical
announce I will prove it, like the same way as the webpages. Without my
OK, without any authorization, I will not allow you to send any offical
posting. Please keep this in your mind. Ihis caused confusion and must be
coordinated before. You as gnomes member, I think it´s
impossible for you to post announces, before co-ordinating them.

As I already said to you, Acki will make a CD available to you.

> > JA, that's the reason we need have to have an INTERN-mailing-list to
> > discuss and share.
>
> guys, intern is the wrong way to go, we cannot exclude the rest of the
> world from gnoppix' development. gnoppix is free software and gnoppix
> should be maintained transparently for everyone to see how decisions are
> made.

well, as the listname say, this is for interal useage, development
related things are discussed in -devel. WWW-realted things in .www
and so on ...

> > 3. USE an INTERN-mailing-list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
> >      to trace the work on Gnoppix to share the knowledge, to gain
> > improvements,
>
> why should the knowlegde be shared just between intern-people. Other
> people can contribute more easily if the know what's going on and how
> things are working.

see above

> >      to establish an corporate identity, to avoid mistakes .. etc ..
>
> >      b. Follow the ROADMAP on Gnoppix (I will suggest this one in an
> > Intern-mailing-list)
>
> Why suggesting an internal roadmap, why not let the publicity take part
> in decisions? ATM I know 5 people who joined morphix because they
> "couldn't figure out how to take part".

please read, Markus wrote, he will suggest one ... after an layout
it will be presented, suggestions are accepted, improved and again revised.

> >      c. If s.b. is NOT able to complete his task because of a lack of
> > knowledge,
> >      thats not a problem as long as he tries to solve it on the
> > Intern-mailing-list then.
> >      And if s.b. is not able to couple the heavy work overload he should
> > stop signing tasks
> >      and assign his one to another member (On the INTERN-mailing-list).
>
> Why exclude the public here again? Give me (and the public) reasons!

Best regards
amu