gnoppix-devel

[Gnoppix-devel] Re: GNOPPIX maintenance

From: Sven Herzberg
Subject: [Gnoppix-devel] Re: GNOPPIX maintenance
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 13:14:21 +0100

Moving this discussion into the public space

Am Sa, den 01.11.2003 schrieb Jean-Baptiste Quenot um 11:34:
> Sven,  I perfectly  agree with  you.   Andreas please  consider that  we
> cannot download  an ISO  every time  you make a  change, and  proceed to
> reverse-engineering to find what files you modified.
>
> Here is my proposition:
>
> We all  agree that the base  system is Debian.  Let's  say every project
> member has  a copy  of Debian,  for sure.   What we  need is  the proper
> sequence of  commands you typed  to create Gnoppix from  Debian: install
> some more packages, install custom  files in /etc/skel, install a custom
> boot sequence for detecting hardware or a custom kernel, etc.
>
> We  must  be  able  to  use   some  sort  of  scripts  to  automate  the
> customization of Debian, to be able to reproduce the great work that you
> did on  Gnoppix: config  files, install  scripts, build  scripts, custom
> files,  all of  that  should be  available somewhere,  at  least to  the
> project members.
>
> All  the  modifications you  did  to  Debian  should be  documented  and
> available.  Everything you did to create  a new release should be traced
> somewhere, preferably into a CVS repository.
>
> Then we  will have  an efficient project  management.  Please  take this
> advice into consideration, try to merge  and share your work with others
> because you  know that  when an  OSS project is  not well  managed, some
> people take your work and fork a new project.

Well, this is an idea, but it's not very debian-ish. In my opinion we
should provide all the changes to the system in special gnoppix-specific
debian packages. If we do so, we can simply make an installation a
*real* Debian by removing these files.

An example:
Modifications to /etc/skel can be tracked easily by providing a
skeleton-gnoppix package.

If we add a Gnoppix-Menu to the GNOME Menu (like Debian does), we should
do this by patching gnome-panel and releasing as gnome-panel-gnoppix.

Regards,
  Sven
--
Sven Herzberg <address@hidden> · Jabber: address@hidden