gnoppix-devel

[Gnoppix-devel] Re: GNOME 2.4, Woody and GNOPPIX

From: Sven Herzberg
Subject: [Gnoppix-devel] Re: GNOME 2.4, Woody and GNOPPIX
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 00:34:01 +0200

Am Di, 2003-09-16 um 00.11 schrieb James Strandboge:
> On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 11:43, Sven Herzberg wrote:
> >   Do you think you can create a backport of the unofficial SID-packages?
> > If not, don't worry, then we have to do more work.
>
> My plan was to not backport gnome 2.4 to woody until it reached sid and
> I was sure that gnome 2.4 would be worthwhile without xfree86 4.3.
> Also, though gnome2.4 is definitely going to be better than 2.2, I'd
> like to see 2.4.1 before rolling it out 'officially' for the backport.
> The backport has reached a lot of people now, and I want to make sure
> the quality is there.

  Yes I can understand that. I think that it should be possible to have
a gnoppix-only repository for the packages to test, check and improve
them. IIRC amu said something like that.

> However, I could work with you guys to get gnome 2.4 on woody for
> gnoppix.  What we learn from that experience can help move gnome 2.4 to
> my backport more quickly.  I should have some time soon to work on it.

  That'd be really cool, because I told amu that either you are or I am
going to create these packages. And if you do, I can focus on the
installer.

> What is your build environment like?

  I would recomment downloading a gnoppix version. Then you can take a
look at it. The next version might include most of the development
libraries to build directly from a running gnoppix cd.

  Which freetype issues? @amu: Have there been freetype issues?

> > PS: your port saved so much work for us, thanks again.
>
> I am glad it helped you guys out.  I never really imagined how many people
> would use it and develop their own projects based on it.  :)

  I can imagine that. We've got lots of people who are interested in
created localized gnoppix versions (which shouldn't be a hard task, it
might be quite easily possible with the next release).

Regards,
  Sven
--
Sven Herzberg <address@hidden> · Jabber: address@hidden