gnoppix-devel

[Gnoppix-devel] Join as a developer of Gnoppix

From: Amish K. Munshi
Subject: [Gnoppix-devel] Join as a developer of Gnoppix
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 03:07:42 -0800

Greetings,

Who are we (and I):     I am working for team which focuses on
localization of GNU/Linux OS in Indian languages. We are a non-profit
organisation and create products as free (GPLed).  we have already
collated the translations in indian languages by many enthusiasts and are
completing the remaining tasks. We are in contact with government
agencies and have been promised support. Our team is lead by Prof
Jitendra Shah. We have setup the website www.indictrans.org .

What We want:For the localization we require Unicode support. GNOME 2.x
has support for unicode and we would like to use gnoppix as the base for
the development. May i request you to visit http://www.indictrans.org for
the further information about our project. I would like to join the
gnoppix team to help in testing of gnoppix in my office on a variety of
hardware ranging from PI 100 Mhz to P4 1.8 Ghz. I have already
successfully modified Morphix, I had a few problems like kernel not
accepting parameters and the swap space not being used. Hence tried to
use Knoppix but it is a KDE based distro hence would like to join as a
developer for gnoppix.

Include indian languages in your distro: We wish to include the
translated po files  in your distribution. We wish to  have a seperate
gnoppix-indic iso's avaiable for downloads (for the starters a lang=hi (
for Hindi) paramter to the kernel will also work). Our translation work
in Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati and bangla will also be given to the sources
of the softwares hence everyone will be able to make use of it.

Comments and difficulties: As an initial feedback here are my
observations of the gnoppix 0.5, The lang=en paramter to the kernel
during bootup does not have any effect. The standard hfreq and vfreq for
the most common monitors here are not supported. We would need to get it
in the range of 30-50 and 50-70 for them to support. On my P4 256MB DDR
intel 845GL the desktop icons are not loaded because nautilus does not
run and the menus are not displayed where as on a similar config
(P4,256,Nvdia RIVA TNT2) the menus are displayed.

Request: Please include English as an option at the earliest  for the
language so that we can use gnoppix as the default OS for our regular
use. Our Hindi and other indian language translations are fast developing
. So we will need them to be included as well. Locales for many have been
included in relevant ISO standards.
Kindly feel free to get back to us for any clarification.

Hoping to receive a positive response
Regards
Bye.
Amish Munshi