Re: fr.po update

From: Raphaël
Subject: Re: fr.po update
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 20:37:11 +0200

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 07:29:12PM +0200, Daniele Forsi wrote:
> 2012/10/7 Raphaël:
> > rather than using the one sent earlier today: this one also
> > fixes some indentation issues and add some more strings.
> >
> > [sent as both a patch and a plain file]
>
> I can't apply the patch because git am can't detect its format and I
> won't commit the plain file because msgfmt doesn't accept it, the
> error is still "invalid multibyte sequence"; file fr.po says it's
> encoded as ISO-8859 but the Content-Type property claims to be UTF-8

$ file -bi po/fr.po
text/x-po; charset=utf-8

$ sed -n "/\xc3\xa9/{p;q}" fr.po|wc -l  # search for UTF-8 "é"
1

$ sed -n "/\xe9/{p;q}" fr.po|wc -l      # search for ISO-8859-15 "é"
0

$ msgfmt --strict -o test.mo -c --statistics fr.po
1149 translated messages, 68 fuzzy translations, 25 untranslated messages.

( Using gentoo's sys-devel/gettext-0.18.1.1-r3 )

> how did you test the translation on your system?
I don't test the real output of each and every translation (I can't) but
I tested the big picture after make install.
( /usr/local/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/gnokii.mo is taken into account )

It's far from perfect, especially the named argument expected by options
and some edge-case where line-length may become an issue.
But at least it's a bit better than before (if all of us can compile it)