Re: Any interest in an Android version of Gnapplet?

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Any interest in an Android version of Gnapplet?
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 23:47:17 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 23:19, Håvard Wigtil <address@hidden> wrote:
> Den 11.10.2011 22:27, skrev Pawel Kot:
>>
>> Hi Håvard,
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 00:39, Håvard Wigtil<address@hidden>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been looking at creating an Android version of Gnapplet.
>>
>> Does it mean that Android is not supported by AT driver?
>
> As far as I can tell there is no AT command support for most Android phones
> at all. There is no AT over Bluetooth in HTC or Sony Ericsson phones, and a
> quick search makes it seem like this is the case for other brands also.

That's a pity. But it means also that Android phones cannot be used as
modems or do they use something proprietary for that?

And did you consider implementing AT daemon at the phone side instead
of using gnapplet?

>>> Is there any interest in having a more full-featured version of Gnapplet
>>> for Android?
>>> I see two possible options for the code I've written so far. One is that
>>> I continue to
>>> write the code for myself, and maybe set up a small project somewhere,
>>> the other
>>> (if that is something you want) is to make the code a part of Gnokii and
>>> maintain it there.
>>
>> Speaking for myself: I do not own any Android phone so I won't use it.
>> However I'd be glad to host you as gnokii subproject.
>
> Great! I have an old Savannah account that I'll try to get reactivated. I'll
> clean up the code a little bit and add copyright headers before sending it
> to you. Should I use GPL v2 for the licence?

gnokii uses GPL2 or later. If your code is not derived from gnokii
code you have freedom to choose (however if you want to host it on
savannah it brings some constraints).

> I'll also split the generic code from the Android-specific code, and use
> org.gnokii as base Java package names.
> I've used Git for development so far, should I simply send the complete
> repository to you?

Once you have savannah account,you'll get the write access. Just
create there a subproject.

If you don't mind I'd ask you not to commit the the main gnokii repo
for the time being. I'd prefer to have the patches reviewed first and
get you used to our coding style and practices.

> (I'm travelling for a few days now with limited computer access, so I'll
> have it ready next weekend at the earliest.)

No hurry here.

> The change I'm talking about is to add support for GN_OP_OnSMS to the
> Gnapplet driver, for which the Symbian Gnapplet will just report that the
> command isn't supported, as far as I can tell.

Sounds good.

> (Although I doubt that there is much use of the current Gnapplet, as I think
> the last phone with Symbian series 60 v2 was made in 2006 or so.)

I feel the same but we still do support phones from 2000 :) Anyone?

>>> There are also two things I'd like to eventually improve in Gnokii
>>> itself.
>>
>> This is certainly welcome as well :)
>>
> How do you prefer to receive patches, should I send them to the mailing
> list, or should I set up a public cloned repository somewhere?

Sending patches is preferred as we can discuss the content here.
However the public repository is harmless.

take care,
--
Pawel Kot