smsd: Problem occurred internal to model specific code.

From: Mark Morley
Subject: smsd: Problem occurred internal to model specific code.
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 15:18:53 -0700

Hi all,

I'm using gnokii/smsd on a FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE box that has a Nokia CS-18
"internet stick" attached (via USB).  It is used only for sending and receiving
sms messages.

It will work great for days or even weeks, but then it stops for no apparent
reason.  The smsd.log file contains these two lines:

27 Mar 2011 11:43:26: Sending to +xxxxxxxxxxx unsuccessful. Error: Command
timed out.
27 Mar 2011 11:43:28: Sending to +xxxxxxxxxxx unsuccessful. Error: Problem
occurred internal to model specific code.

..and smsd dies.  Restarting smsd, or issuing any gnokii command results in
this (after a long pause):

Telephone interface init failed: Command timed out.
Quitting.
GSM/FBUS init failed! (Unknown model?). Quitting.
Error: Command timed out.

The CS-18 starts up in a USB mode where it looks and acts like a flash drive
(so that you can plug it into a PC and autorun the software and driver
installation).  To put it into modem mode I use a utility called
"usb_modeswitch" (until I do this, there will be no /dev/cua* entry for the
device).  This has to be done any time I power cycle the thing.  If I remove
and reinsert the device and run this command, it will start working again for
any number of days, until it dies again.

In smsd.conf I have:

[NOKIACS18]
device = /dev/cuaU2
pin = ignore
pre_init = no
init =
init2 =
incoming = 2
baudrate = 19200
rtscts = no
check_network = 0
eventhandler = PATH_TO_MY_SCRIPT
check_network = 0
number = xxxxxxxxxxx
detect_message_routing = no

I'm not sure if it's a matter of using proper init strings, or if it's an issue
with gnokii, or if it's a USB driver issue in FreeBSD.

Any thoughts?

Mark