Re: pin help

From: Timothy Murphy
Subject: Re: pin help
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 14:34:15 +0000

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 14:22, Pawel Kot wrote:

> > I can't help you, but I definitely think there should be a gnokii
> > PIN-HOWTO, as this evidently causes many people problems.
>
> http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Bluetooth

I'm afraid I'd only give this half marks.
Eg it doesn't say what is supposed to be happening on the phone.

Also it seems very Ubuntu specific.
Eg under my Fedora 6 system the file /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf
is provided by the bluez-utils package,
and does not contain any entry for pin-helper,
nor is there a program /usr/bin/bluez-pin on this system.
In spite of this, gnokii works fine with bluetooth.

Actually, I just looked at a Ubuntu machine,
and there wasn't an entry for pin_helper in /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf
there either.
Maybe this refers to an older version of bluez?

But I'd prefer an account which says exactly what commands are given
on the computer, and exactly what effect this has on a particular phone.

I would find a short description of how the PIN system works helpful, too.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366