Re: Trouble on Sending a Lot of SMS

From: Jari Turkia
Subject: Re: Trouble on Sending a Lot of SMS
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 12:41:53 +0200

Jan Derfinak wrote:
So do I. To my understanding the connection media has no effect. The phone
simply "falls asleep" after inactivity. However, the condition is detectable
and what I do is, reset the gnokii connection after three failures within 5
minutes. In my case, that does the trick.
In smsd is this code but I think it doesn't help in this case:

static void RealConnect (void *phone)
{
  while (1)
  {
    g_print (_("GN_OP_GetSMSFolderStatus at line %d in file %s returns error
%d\nRestarting connection."), __LINE__, __FILE__, error);
    break;

I'm not familiar with smsd code, but that the general idea is good. It boils down to how well the failure detection works.

Like I said, I had to build an error tracker to initiate the connection reset. Needless to say, that works only for code which in normal conditions does not fail. Also, it will be good idea to put lot of options in config-file regarding the error tracker (on/off -switch, timers, counters, etc. all modifiable, different phones may require different parameters).

Regards,
Jari Turkia