Re: Another Idea

From: Phil Ashby
Subject: Re: Another Idea
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:39:01 +0000

Harsha Ramesh wrote:
Hi All,

Offlate I have been working on .NET framework, when it struck me -- what is
the feasibility of building the gnokii project as a .NET component and
running it on Mono for linux and the usual .NET framework for windows?
Wouldnt that make the code maintainance etc easy?

looking forward for your inputs

Harsha - you asked a similar question about a Java port two months ago, to which I replied:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnokii-users/2006-01/msg00162.html

..similar issues apply to .NET virtual machines as they do to Java virtual machines - gnokii needs to perform some low level I/O at the bottom of the protocol stack and .NET can't do it itself, so some gnokii code must remain outside the VM, or be built as an extension to it. How easy is it to extend the .NET with a DLL? Can MONO run extensions?

Perhaps you were thinking that since .NET bytecode can be compiled from C++, then it might be easier to port to than Java? Perhaps you are right, but currently 100% of libgnokii is in plain C, not C++ and will likely not compile for .NET - try it :)

Phil.