DKU-5 and FreeBSD

From: soralx
Subject: DKU-5 and FreeBSD
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 02:46:26 -0600

Good localtime(),

I'm statring to work on a project, and a part of it is to make a cell
phone [fully] controllable by a computer. One way to achieve this
is to emulate keypresses through a data port. So, can somebody help me
to figure out what Nokia cell-phone model I need to get to be able to
do that, or at least send SMS E-mails from it, using Gnokii under FreeBSD?

If you have a Canadian phone model, and know that Gnokii can emulate
keystrokes on it, or at least that the feature exists in the phone's
protocol, pls tell me the phone's model, connection type, stability
of the link, etc...

I'd also like to know if it's possible to make the DKU-5 cable
(http://www.tangshop.com/nokia-dku5-usb-cable.html) work with FBSD.

I tried to use a 3595 with an RS-232 cable (which was preferred, because
I don't know if the USB cable will work with FBSD):
http://www.tangshop.com/datcabnok3590.html
The results weren't very optimistic. The link was extremely unstable
(CRC errors because of frequent silo overflows), and the phone didn't
work with most of gnokii's command line options (like --keysequence,
--dialvoice, --displayoutput, --reset). Of course, I couldn't find
the description of the telephone's protocol, as well as I could not
reverse engineer it, as there wasn't Nokia software for this model
(and when I tried using Nokia's PCSuite, the phone said that "accessory"
not supported).

CC to my e-mail, as I'm not subscribed (yet?)

Timestamp: 0x41454C68
[SorAlx]  http://cydem.org.ua/
ridin' VN1500-B2