Re: First time user questions

From: BORBELY Zoltan
Subject: Re: First time user questions
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:01:39 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 04:47:21PM +0100, Dogsbody wrote:
> Setup: Linux 2.2, DLR-3P data cable & Nokia 6210
>
> I really just want to use this setup for SMS so that my machine can SMS me
> when something is wrong and I can send reminders/commands to my
> self/machine.
>

> Q1: The initialisation seems to take quite a while when communicating with
> the phone.  I have set "connection = dlr3p" but that hasn't seemed to help.
> Is this normal or is there something else I can do? (new data cable?)

Try initlength = 1 (0 means default which is quite huge!)

> Q2: I'm sure this is a common question but I can't seem to find a good
> answer in the archives.  Obviously I need to get the SMS messages off the
> phone, I would like to get them ASAP.  I have looked at smsd but even with
> the file option I cannot see any huge advantage of using...
>   gnokii --getsms IN 1 -d 2>&1 | /script/that/does/stuff.pl

If you are a perl programmer, why don't you try Konstantin Agouros' perl
module? You can download it from http://www.agouros.de/gnokii. It's based
on libgnokii instead of calling the command line utility. So you have to
connect to the mobile at startup which can save a huge time.

I attached a small example, how to use it. It will create a similar
output as "gnokii --monitor".

Bye,
Bozo