First time user questions

From: Dogsbody
Subject: First time user questions
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:47:21 +0100

Hi,

I'm a first time user of gnokii and all seems to be going ok but I have a couple of questions if I may.

Setup: Linux 2.2, DLR-3P data cable & Nokia 6210

I really just want to use this setup for SMS so that my machine can SMS me when something is wrong and I can send reminders/commands to my self/machine.

Q1: The initialisation seems to take quite a while when communicating with the phone. I have set "connection = dlr3p" but that hasn't seemed to help. Is this normal or is there something else I can do? (new data cable?)

Q2: I'm sure this is a common question but I can't seem to find a good answer in the archives. Obviously I need to get the SMS messages off the phone, I would like to get them ASAP. I have looked at smsd but even with the file option I cannot see any huge advantage of using...
  gnokii --getsms IN 1 -d 2>&1 | /script/that/does/stuff.pl
... in a cron job. But even this isn't ideal as it will only deal with one message a minute and with the initialisation delay it seems overkill :-\

Thank you all very much for a great project, I hope my questions aren't silly.

Regards, Dan

--
http://www.dogsbody.org/