Gnokii, cable, 6310 and...why not ???

From: Marilú Ebner + Bjarne Jensen
Subject: Gnokii, cable, 6310 and...why not ???
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:32:24 +0100

Gents,

"Linux beginners have a hard time !" [you may quote me]

On an old Compaq Presario 1260 laptop running RH 7.2 I've installed the gnokii-0.4.3 RPM. It is distributed like this:

/etc/gnokiirc
/usr/bin/gnokii
/usr/bin/xgnokii
/usr/lib/libgnokii.so
/usr/sbin/gnokii
/usr/sbin/gnokiid
/usr/sbin/mgnokiidev [ root.gnokii + chmod 4750 ]
/usr/sbin/xgnokii

/home/bbj/.gnokiirc

then I created
/usr/share/doc/gnokii-0.4.3/gnokii-ini/
an copied cimd-connect, DataCalls-QuickStart, magic, options ppp-* and some more into this dir.

USB cabel is identified as dlr3p in the Windows Nokia Connection Manager so I take it it will work here too.

.gnokiirc:
[global]
port = ttyS0
model = 6310
initlenght = default
connection = dlr3p
bibdir = /usr/sbin/
use_locking = no
serial_baudrate = 19200
rest is #'ed

I try gnokii --identify
and get
Gnokii serial open: open: No such file or directory
Couldn't open FBUS device: No such file or directory
Telephone interface init failed! Quitting.
--------
I run modprobe usb-storage (as I would have done using a USB cable to pull picture files of my SONY camera into the laptop), and
.gnokiirc:
port = /dev/usb/ttyUSB0

and get
Gnokii serial open: open: Permission denied
Couldn't open FBUS device: permission denied
Telephone interface init failed! Quitting.
---------
I try
.gnokiirc:
connect_script = /usr/share/doc/gnokii-0.4.3/gnokii-ini/cimd-connect

and get
Gnokii serial open: open: No such file or directory
Couldn't open FBUS device: No such file or directory
Telephone interface init failed! Quitting.

Now I try You guys :)

--
 Bjarne Jensen