gnokii 0.5.0pre3 and other things

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: gnokii 0.5.0pre3 and other things
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 23:47:32 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

First, I'd like to wish to everyone on this list (and to everyone else) a
very happy new year, so it would be much better then the previous one.

Now, few announcements.

Gnokii 0.5.0pre3 is released. You can grab it from:
ftp://ftp.gnokii.org/pub/gnokii/gnokii-0.5.0pre3.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.pl.gnokii.org/pub/people/pkot/gnokii/gnokii-0.5.0pre3.tar.gz
http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/gnokii/gnokii-0.5.0pre3.tar.gz

What's new? Quite lot. Main changes since pre2 are:

 o we have new API which should be more developer friendly -- if you want
to develop your own application based on libgnokii you should really use
this one; the API should be equal to what we'll have in 0.5.0 (maybe some
small changes); I'll try do extend developers documentation in 0.5.0 yet.

 o MBUS support for 6110 and 7110 series

 o all(?) static variables were moved from libgnokii to the statemachine;
it means we support multiple phones at the moment -- at least in the
theory -- our config format does not allow this for now, but Bozo and I
are working on this issue

 o Bosch AT phones support with Dancall and CBUS cleanups made by Ladislav
Michl

 o fixed (I hope) build system, so gnokii should compile harmlessly on all
modern Linux systems -- the tarball is build on top of
gettext-0.10.38/autoconf-2.50/automake-1.4p4. The tests were made also
with: gettext-0.11.2/autoconf-2.54/automake-1.7.
The sources are known to be compiled by gcc-2.95.3 and gcc-3.2.1

Please do test this version. Final 0.5.0 is close :-) TODO list is quite
short:
 o apply the pending patches (is you think I forgot about any - remind me)
 o cleanup with the header files
 o bluetooth support
 o documentation update
 o perhaps working multiphone support
If you have a working patch, do not hesitate to send me it -- it can get
in 0.5.0 as well.

And we got to the second announce. I enabled bugtracking system for the
gnokii project at savannah. You can use it at:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=gnokii

Please DO use it, especially when the bug reported to the list, does not
get solved for a couple of days and you don't get any feedback. I'd like
to leave the most of the real work and bugtracking on the gnokii-users
list. The bugtracking system is to keep the track of the bugs and to not
forget or overlook some of them.

Please DO reports the bugs ONLY with the LATEST release or even with the
CVS version.

Oh, and I almost forgot. Unfortunately, as it appears, Nokia 7650 can't be
supported by the nk6510 driver. You can do some things using openobex
(http://sf.net/projects/openobex/) though. I'm looking forward to have
some support in gnokii later on.

happy gnokiing :-)
pkot