Re: gnokii vs. gammu

From: Michal Cihar
Subject: Re: gnokii vs. gammu
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 00:07:11 +0100

Hi

This is just my personal view and I have to say that I don't know much about
Gnokii. Better to say is: not as much as Gnokii developpers, I looked
cursorily at its code, I tried to use it, but I didn't write a line of code
for it. In opposite I contributed few things to Gammu and I'm going to
continue in that.

On Monday 23 December 2002 13:22, Bertrik Sikken wrote:
> If I want to help, which project should I contribute to?

It's your choice, there is also gsmlib project (http://www.pxh.de/fs/gsmlib/)
where you can also contribute simmilar things ;-), but it now seems to be
almost dead. I choose Gammu because the code seemed easier to
understand for me. If you want IMHO nicer code, look at gsmlib. But it has
just support for AT comands and implementing anything else is much more work
than in Gammu/Gnokii, where currently coexist Nokia specific things with AT
commands (and in Gammu will in near future also have support for Alcatel
phones, my patch for it is almost ready ;-)). The other thing was that
neither Gammu nor Gnokii worked with perfectly my phone in those days and I
wanted to fix it and in Gammu I found earlier how to do that...

Gnokii has now advatage that it has GUI application, but I will write GUI for
Gammu.... Gnokii is much more known project, it is currently included in most
Linux distros, and Gammu is not, but this is definitely going to be changed
;-). Gammu uses internally unicode, in Gnokii this is in TODO. There are
surely much more differences, check supported phones, OSes, features, speed
of growing, stability, usability, speed and whatewer you choose. I didn't do
that, but if you do so, I will be interested in results ;-). Anyway: It's
your choice in which project will you put your work into.

--
Regards
        Michal Cihar