Problems with 3310

From: Ian Harris
Subject: Problems with 3310
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 22:45:00 +0000

Hi,

I'm having some problems getting gnokii to connect to my Nokia 3310 and I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions or advice. The serial port on my linux box works fine with a modem, and the cable I'm using with the phone works OK with LogoManager under Win2000. At least, it works in DAU9P(MBUS) mode, but I've not managed to get it to work in DAU9P(FBUS) mode, despite the cable claiming to be 'auto switching'. Not sure if that's relevant.

Anyway, compiled with debug, here's what I get from gnokki: (Output is unchanged if I disconnect the serial lead from the computer!)

rogallo:/home/geo/gnokki/gnokii-0.4.3# gnokii --identify
GNOKII Version 0.4.3
Opened configuration file /root/.gnokiirc
Added new section global
Adding key/value port//dev/modem
Adding key/value model/3310
Adding key/value initlength/default
Adding key/value connection/serial
Adding key/value bindir//usr/local/sbin/
Adding key/value use_locking/yes
Adding key/value serial_baudrate/9600
Added new section connect_script
Adding key/value TELEPHONE/12345678
Added new section disconnect_script
Added new section sms
Adding key/value timeout/10
Serial device: opening device /dev/modem
Serial device: setting speed to 115200
Serial device: setting RTS to low and DTR to high
Getting phone info (old way)...
Message sent: 0xd1 / 0x0005
00 01 00 03 00                                  |
SM_Block Retry - 0
Message sent: 0xd1 / 0x0005
00 01 00 03 00                                  |
SM_Block Retry - 1
Message sent: 0xd1 / 0x0005
00 01 00 03 00                                  |
SM_Block Retry - 2
Telephone interface init failed! Quitting.

The more interesting lines from my config file are as follows:

rogallo:/home/geo/gnokki/gnokii-0.4.3# cat ~/.gnokiirc
[global]
port = /dev/modem
model = 3310
initlength = default
connection = dau9p
bindir = /usr/local/sbin/
use_locking = yes
serial_baudrate = 9600
#serial_write_usleep = 10000
#handshake = software
#require_dcd = 1
#connect_script = /home/geo/gnokki/gnokii-0.4.3/Docs/sample/cimd-connect
#disconnect_script =
[connect_script]
TELEPHONE = 07876777777
[disconnect_script]
[sms]
timeout = 10

If I uncomment the connect_script line, I get the following debugging info:
Serial device: opening device /dev/modem
device_script("/home/geo/gnokii/gnokii-0.4.3/Docs/sample/cimd-connect"): child script failure: normal exit, exit code=3
Gnokii serial_opendevice: connect_script
Couldn't open FBUS device: Input/output error
Error in link initialisation
Telephone interface init failed! Quitting.

It's the 'FBUS' bit that's got me thinking, as that's the option which I can't get to work under Windows.

Should gnokii work with any cable which works with, say, LogoManager, or would I have more luck with a different cable? Looking at previous messages in this list regarding Nokia 3310s, the most common 'solution' seems to be to buy a different phone, rather than a different cable. I will do this if necessary, but am hoping that it's just a software / cable problem that's easily fixed. I've not tried the latest CVS version because all the docs point to V0.4.3 fully supporting 3310s. To quote the release notes, "* Known Bugs * - None, we write quality software here... :)", which means that it's probably something I'm doing wrong. But what???

Thanks for any assistance you can give,

Ian