Telephone interface init failed! Quitting.

From: John Hennessy
Subject: Telephone interface init failed! Quitting.
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 14:08:44 +0800 (WST)

Hi, I am running RedHat Linux 6.2 for sparc on a SUN Sparcstation 5.
Gnokii 0.4.3 compiled cleanly with the following configure options:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local --without-x --enable-security

Here is my run output:
# gnokii --identify
GNOKII Version 0.4.3
Telephone interface init failed! Quitting.
#

After a lengthy wait I get the "Telephone init failed" message and the
prompt is returned. A break out box on the output proves that data is
leaving on pin 2 (TX) but no return data on pin 3 (RX).
I am using a Nokia 5110 and dau9p serial cable. The phone/cable appears to
provide DCD but using the require_dcd option simply results in "ERROR: Modem
DCD is
down and global/require_dcd parameter is set!".

I am using the following options in /etc/gnokiirc :

port = /dev/ttyS1
model = 5110
initlength = default
connection = serial
bindir = /usr/local/sbin/
use_locking = yes
serial_baudrate = 9600
serial_write_usleep = 10000
#handshake = software
#require_dcd = 1

I am aware of the 115,200 speed issue but unsure if it affects me on this
hardware platform. Does the serial_baudrate = 9600 avoid problems if high
speed serial is lacking ?
Has anyone managed to get this combination to work or is this a hopeless
combination of hardware and software ?

Thanks

John.