6310i, linux, and USB-IRDA converter

From: Attila Pletyak
Subject: 6310i, linux, and USB-IRDA converter
Date: 04 Oct 2002 18:31:42 +0200

Hello,

  I've bought an USB-IRDA converter, apparently it is a no-name product,
as I can see no identification on its box.

  The only identification is: UFIR-K(2.0)

  It says it has full complience with USB v1.1, IRDA v1.0, supports
external irda v1.2 compliant PHY, supports SIR and FIR from 115K bps to
4M bps data transfer rate, Win98/ME/2000 compliant, supports nokia
8210,8850.

  Can anyone help me to install it under Red Hat Linux 7.3?

  I've done

  modprobe usb-uhci (said errors)
  modproba irda-usb (succeed)

  Now lsmod says:
irda-usb               12000   0  (unused)
usbcore                73152   0  [irda-usb]
irda                  117196   2  [irda-usb]

Starting xgnokii with connect mode: "irda" and port "/dev/usb/ttyUSB0"
says "Connecting...." but nothing really happens, after a while it says
on the console:

Couldn't open PHONET device: No such process

Has anyone tested such a tool?

  Thanks in advance,

  Attila Pletyak