gnobog-devel

[Gnobog-devel] Re: Re: Critical bugs fixed

From: renaud_chaillat
Subject: [Gnobog-devel] Re: Re: Critical bugs fixed
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 00:26:40 CEST

>address@hidden wrote:
>> I've fixed a few critical bugs that were introduced when I changed
>> the relationship between LgbTree and LgbItem objects in August.
>> Gnobog is nearly unusable without these fixes...
>I tested this version (removing before that everythin in $HOME/.gnobog)
>and it started up fine.
>It found only my Netscape3 bookmarks, which is fine for me.
>(It missed the Mozilla and Opera5 bookmarks.)

OK. Segfault gone, good :-)
The other bugs I've fixed were related to cut and paste
operations, which is why they were critical.

For Mozilla bookmarks, I think it's because you use several profiles,
so we must take that into account.
For Opera 5, I haven't even tried, so we'll have to add it !

>What I found annoying is that the order of the bookmarks is reversed,
>but I can live with that.

A lot of things are rough in their current state. For initial start, as I see
things, we should:
- offer the user to find and import all bookmarks automatically
  (for now it's done without asking the user)
- allow to add non standard bookmarks files locations with an easy
  GUI
- offer several ways to import these files: merging them as now,
  or create a separate folder for each file, or create a separate
  view for each file, or open the files as separate documents in
  separate panes. We'll have to try and see which are useful.

These choices should also be in the open dialog when
opening "all known bookmarks".

I agree the current merge is not really useful, we should at least
keep the order; it shouldn't be hard to correct that (this code is
quite new).

>(I'm tempted to look into the import/export plugins anyway
>as I want to exchange bookmarks with dillo which uses its
>own bookmark format.)

Yes, I thought about that when you mentioned Dillo in a previous
mail :-)
Import plugins are really easy to write, they're just "black boxes"
taking a text stream as input (stdin) and outputing (stdout) the converted
stream. You'll have to take a look at the netscape or mozilla plugin (they're
in perl because it was faster to write), and the gnobog file format.

For export plugins, the easiest way is to write them in xslt (again
you can look at existing plugins). If you know xslt it will be easy,
if not you can still go with C or script, but it's a good way to
learn xslt :-)
Anyway, export plugins work the same way: gnobog format data as input stream,
and they output the converted stream. No need to care about where the data is
written.

The only current drawback is that plugins are not _detected_ by gnobog,
you have to add their name in a table in gb_io code. It's a TODO to
register them automatically :-)

Renaud

Web/Wap : www.netcourrier.com
Téléphone/Fax : 08 92 69 00 21 (0,34 € TTC/min)
Minitel: 3615 NETCOURRIER (0,16 € TTC/min)