gnobog-devel

[Gnobog-devel] Re: current status

From: renaud_chaillat
Subject: [Gnobog-devel] Re: current status
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 16:21:23 CEST

>Hello,

Hi,

>I just got a link to gnobog and found it pretty useful.

Thanks :-)

>So this mailing lists seems to be essentially dead, I found
>that there is quite some activity on CVS.

You're right, we're still working on gnobog. It's our communication (web,
mailing lists) that's dead for now ;-)

>The current stable version 0.4.3 works essentially fine, but I'd
>like to know whether you have something "quite" stable that
>is nearer to your current development version.
>
>The reason I'm asking is that I'd like some features in gnobog
>and I'm willing to add them myself, but
> 1) maybe it's already implemented in the current development version
> 2) it would make more sense to add something to the newest version

Yes, the new version is "quite" stable in its current shape. Since
you're a developer, and want to contribute, I think you'll be interested
in the new version; 0.4.3 is really old and the new code has nearly nothing in
common: much more modular, uses gtk2, and so on.

I think now is a good time to contribute to gnobog :-)
Working on 0.4.3 would have been a waste of time.

>OTOH, for my daily work I'd like to use something that doesn't
>crash frequently.

The current version might crash a little and there are still a few
bugs to iron out, but we'd like to have something releasable really
soon now; you might help testing ?
There are new features we like a lot, but some are missing like multiple drag
and drop because of current limitations of gtk2.
I think it's becoming usable nonetheless.

>Anyway, one feature that seems to be simple and that I really need
>I'll probably add to 0.4.3 for now, and then we can see what of
>that can be re-used in the current dev version.
>(This feature is the copying of a link to the X clipboard,
>so I can paste it to an xterm.)

Good idea :-)

So, to get the new code, get the gnobog-test module from savannah:

"cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/gnobog login"
"cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/gnobog co gnobog-test"

Then autogen.sh in gnobog-test should automake/autoconf/configure
for you, but feel free to ask us if there are problems, I haven't
tested this script for a long time.

You have to do a make install for gnobog to work. Then launch it with
/usr/local/bin/gnobogtest. You also have a command-line only gnobog
/usr/local/bin/gnobog.

I'll keep this mail short; once you're ready, and if the new version already
nearly suits your needs and you want to contribute, we'll talk about the code
so that you don't lose too much time figuring it out - we haven't written any
real developer documentation yet, though there might be a few notes in doc/.

Regards,
Renaud

Web/Wap : www.netcourrier.com
Téléphone/Fax : 08 92 69 00 21 (0,34 € TTC/min)
Minitel: 3615 NETCOURRIER (0,16 € TTC/min)