Re: [gNewSense-users] Question about Free GNU/Linux distributions

From: tom lukeywood
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Question about Free GNU/Linux distributions
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 21:45:13 +0100

I personally think the main advantage is security.
if the code being run on your computer is hidden then how can you be sure what
its doing?
also having full control is always nice.

But if you intend on running proprietary software like steam anyway then I
guess there is not so much of an advantage other than being able to pick and
choose which proprietary software specifically you would trust to be run.

Fedora includes non-free firmware subject to these restrictions
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main#Binary_Firmware)
I do not think they include any other non-free software
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:FAQ?rd=Licensing/FAQ#Does_Fedora_permit_anything_under_.22Non-Free.22_licensing.3F)

I am not sure how much control these firmware files have to be honest maybe
someone could enlighten me but they say that non of the firmware files are
"executable within the Fedora OS context (note: this means that the files
cannot run on their own, not that they are just chmod -x)" so maybe this means
they are run in a sandbox or something? I am not sure.

--
  tom lukeywood
  address@hidden