Re: [gNewSense-users] Missing Apps

From: arnuld uttre
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Missing Apps
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 09:56:16 +0530

> On 8/29/14, Paul A. Crable <address@hidden> wrote:

> Another reader reported he had encountered the same problem himself, but
> traced it to some inadvertent action taken while logged into root.  I
> never did any operating from root, so it didn't apply.

Well, if not as root, then you must have messed up your local configs
somewhere because ,like I said, apps do not disappear on GNU/Linux

> Unfortunately, what this has pointed out to me is that I am going to have
> to learn a lot more about how applications are located, installed, and
> managed, than I ever had to to use Windows.  I am not adverse to cracking
> the books, but I worry that requiring this level of expertise makes
> GNU/Linux less attractive to the general user.

Yes, you will need to learn all that but it is all pretty easy and you
do not need a book for that. I never used a book. Just google search
and reading mailing lists, forums and articles here and there. Start
with reading about these (to save some time on solving problems) :

0) environment variables like $HOME, $PATH, $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
1) apt-get and apt-cache
2) aptitude
3) lspci
4) lsmod