Re: [gNewSense-users] Missing Apps

From: Paul A. Crable
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Missing Apps
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 03:53:58 -0000

> Did you find the missing applications again? Did you check GNOME's menu
> preferences to see if they were disabled somehow?

I was able to locate a couple of the applications using mlocate, but gave
that up as lengthy and not very productive.  Instead, I reinstalled the
applications that were important to me using Synaptic Package Manager.  In
other words, I've abandoned trying to resurrect the errant programs.

Another reader reported he had encountered the same problem himself, but
traced it to some inadvertent action taken while logged into root.  I
never did any operating from root, so it didn't apply.

No, I have not checked Gnome's menu preferences, but will do so now.

Unfortunately, what this has pointed out to me is that I am going to have
to learn a lot more about how applications are located, installed, and
managed, than I ever had to to use Windows.  I am not adverse to cracking
the books, but I worry that requiring this level of expertise makes
GNU/Linux less attractive to the general user.

Thank you for your help.

Paul
--
Paul A. Crable.  Portland, Ore.  U.S.A.