Re: [gNewSense-users] Clang and Debian

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Clang and Debian
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 17:01:48 +0200

> <http://clang.debian.net/>

Not much more than using two different compilers to get different
warnings and expose different bugs.

> - If using GCC, things may fail because Debian packages may rely on
>   Clang successful builds

Any citation for clang being used on other architectures supported by
Debian?  Debian already handles bugs specific to some non-x86
architectures, they would do the same with issues specific to a compiler
used only for them.

> Again, this is theory at the moment, but I'd like you to take a moment
> to think about it and maybe discuss what would/should be done in such a
> case. Better think and brainstorm early, and be ready for something
> like this, than be surprised later (e.g. making a huge Clang-built
> archive build with GCC may be non-trivial, like the work done by those
> people for the debian clang project).

gNewSense had a good technical reason to rebuild all its software on
mipsel: a CPU bug on Loongson 2F made programs built without a special
assembler option hang the machine in some cases.  This wasn't done,
while there was no need for any code changes: the same compiler would be
used, passing only one additional option which doesn't affect what code
is supported.

What a non-compiler developer who doesn't maintain a distro can do to
support GCC here?  Other than use in their programs features missing in
clang like OpenMP.