Re: [gNewSense-users] Compiling Icecat 17.0.1 on gNewSense 3

From: kpb
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Compiling Icecat 17.0.1 on gNewSense 3
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 20:37:29 +0000

On Tue, 2014-02-18 at 15:01 -0500, Felipe López wrote:
>         On Mon, 2014-02-17 at 22:18 +0100, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
>         > Op Sun, 16 Feb 2014 19:43:57 +0000
>         > schreef kpb <address@hidden>:
>         >
>         > > I've found it possible to compile Icecat 17.0.1 on
>         gNewSense 3.1
>         > > 64bit by following the wiki instructions at
>         > >
>         > > http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Documentation/IceCat
>         > >
>         > > just *leave out the source code patch* steps as gNewSense
>         3 has a
>         > > compiler version recent enough for this code. YASM still
>         needs to be
>         > > compiled as 0.8 is in the gNewSense 3 repository.
>         >
>         > Feel free to update our wiki page. I think it's safe to
>         assume that
>         > users are more interested in IceCat 17 than 14.
>         >

>         Hello Sam and all
>
>         Wiki page: I've clicked login, then register new account or
>         whatever,
>         typed in camel case name, password and then keep being asked
>         about
>         someone called Alexandre in a Text captcha box. It keeps
>         telling me I've
>         got the answer wrong, which I have because I have no idea who
>         Alexandre
>         might be, and then I can't access the gNewSense.org domain at
>         all for
>         some time.
>
>         Is this some form of anti-spam device or a cunning way of
>         discouraging
>         contributions? If the latter, it is remarkably effective!
>

> Yes, it's to prevent spam. Alexandre is Oliva, maintainer of
> Linux-libre [1].
>

> For the other textchas, just note that gNewSense used to use the
> pmwiki system and that odt is the text format.

Thanks Felipe and all

Got past the captcha thanks but now its telling me that my email address
belongs to someone else, but when I try logging in under my camel case
name and password, it tells me that I'm using an invalid user name or
password. Attempting to use my email address as user name results in a
page timeout error. I'll give it all another go with an alternative
email address tomorrow.

Attempting to compile Icecat 24.0 fails because the source code that
GNUzilla are providing requires Python 2.7x (but not Python 3) so I
guess that is one for gNewSense 4. I can only assume that Mozilla cross
compile their Firefox binaries for a 'lowest common denominator' target
in some way.

Cheers
--
Keith Burnett