Re: [gNewSense-users] Compiling Icecat 17.0.1 on gNewSense 3

From: Guilherme Vieira
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Compiling Icecat 17.0.1 on gNewSense 3
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:59:01 -0300

> Icecat *sources* are available up to current Firefox versions or near to.

Oh, I see. Man, I don't know how you guys can stand using old software just because your distros' repos only have old software. I decided to definitively switch to a rolling release distro (Parabola) now, I hope I never have to look back...

Since I didn't know Icecat could actually not suck (I'm guessing more up-to-date versions should work just like the vanilla browser,) I ended up simply manually installing Mozilla Firefox and avoiding non-libre add-ons.

I wish there was a your-freedom add-on for Firefox that prevented me from installing other non-libre add-ons, but I can live without that for now. I also really like the stock Mozilla branding...

Atenciosamente / Sincerely,
Guilherme Prá Vieira

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 12:48 PM, kpb <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, 2014-02-18 at 02:56 -0300, Guilherme Vieira wrote:
> Hi there! I'd like to know why IceCat must be so old compared to
> vanilla Firefox. Isn't it just supposed to be Firefox rebranded, with
> some add-ons preinstalled, and without offers to install non-libre
> add-ons?
>

> Atenciosamente / Sincerely,
> Guilherme Prá Vieira

Hello Guilherme, Dave and All

Mozilla themselves appear to be able to compile and package current
Firefox binaries that work fine on Debian Squeeze and even on CentOS
5.10, so I'm sure it must be *possible* to compile current versions of
Icecat on gNewSense.

Icecat *sources* are available up to current Firefox versions or near
to. Googling compiling Icecat 24 on gNewSense gives me this link

http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.gnuzilla

...so I went with version 17.0.1 because Iceweasel 17 is in the Debian
Squeeze backports repository. I will try v24 myself and try to reproduce
the bug.

@Sam, I'll request an account and modify the wiki page with instructions
for compiling Icecat 17.0.1.

PS: a few months ago, I had never actually compiled any software.
gNewSense use certainly promotes learning :-}

Cheers