Re: [gNewSense-users] A user's view

From: josh
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] A user's view
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 15:37:11 +1030

When I was young there were no computers, no mobile phones and no TV.
And if we wanted to make a phone call we walked two miles to the village
phone box. But that didn't matter because we didn't know anyone who had
a phone for us to call. And nobody in the family had a car. Or a washing
machine, or a dishwasher.

None of that worried us because that was how nearly everyone else lived.
(And for most of those years we didn't have electricity anyway.)

But a fully functional home computer system is now a part of everyday
life. So if GNU/Linux or any other system is to be an alternative to
Microsoft and not just a pretty toy for geeks to play with, it has to do
what most other people's computers do. And if that means using non-free
software to bridge a few gaps until there is free software to do the
job, so be it.

Fortunately there are plenty of sensible developers who have realised
this and worked - and are still working - hard, to overcome the need for
anything other than free software. Meanwhile those of us who are not
millionaires will just carry on getting whatever equipment we already
own to work in any way that we can, and try to persuade the
manufacturers to release their drivers as free software.

And if we do have any money to spare we will donate it to the people
developing free software; not waste it replacing perfectly serviceable
hardware. We will do whatever it takes to avoid having to buy Microsoft
products to connect us to the real world.

I like what you say about network cards and entirely agree but what you
run on another machine that has no Internet connection is not likely to
cause a security problem.