Re: [gNewSense-users] A user's view

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] A user's view
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 08:41:12 -0800 (PST)

Josh said:

> Yes that's excellent, But I don't have the luxury of being able to
> afford to change my previously functioning hardware every time I
> load a new version of my distro.

Ah, yes - The "it's not the hardware but the software" argument. In
some cases that "perfectly functioning hardware" is only
"perfectly functioning" within the context of proprietary software.
In such cases it's best to escape that by making the hardware swap
(which is a one-time deal, I might add not "every time".)

P.S. - The ThinkPad X60 is cheap: I bought mine for US$100 and
absolutely everything works wonderfully in the free world.

In fact, if things continue to go the way that they have been,
we'll have to start buying computers that were specifically made
to run free software. See http://files.jxself.org/build.ogv for a
small blurb on the topic from RMS at LibrePlanet 2013.