Re: [gNewSense-users] On installing gNS 3 on a machine with i218-lm

From: Harry Prevor
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] On installing gNS 3 on a machine with i218-lm
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 10:35:56 -0400

On 2013-10-03 10:26, YAMAMOTO Kentaro wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to install gNS 3 on an amd64 computer with an Intel
i218-lm Ethernet controller.  Since this is pretty new, it seems to be
unsupported by gNS (or perhaps by other distributions).  Without an
Internet connection it cannot be installed by the usual procedure.

What can I do to install it on my machine?  And if I can install, can
I use the network adapters to get connected?

You should be able to install the basic gNewSense without an ethernet connection using the LiveCD versions.

You may want to try your luck with the latest kernel version, which you can install on top of gNS with this apt-repository: <http://jxself.org/linux-libre/> It's worked wonders for me with getting devices to work in gNS, and I'd be very suprised if your device doesn't work after doing this.

Of course, to install the newer kernel, you'll need a connection of some sort. Do you have any USB WiFi receivers like <http://h-node.org/wifi/view/en/166/> (which works with gNewSense) that you could use to temporarily connect to the Internet to get your ethernet working?

Or, you could install the distribution using the LiveCD, then chroot into it from another GNU/Linux distribution with working internet, install the kernel, and reboot.

--
Harry Prevor