[gNewSense-users] diy desktop

From: elnecio
Subject: [gNewSense-users] diy desktop
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 18:03:31 +0000

Hi list!
I need to find some info about hardware compatibility.
I looked on the h-node at first and so on for two weeks but without success. In the Trisquel forum I only discovered I can't go for AMD motherboard because need non-free blobs and I reed in an other forum some new Asus motherboard is impossible to install GNU/Linux (Ubuntu btw). Few useful information is about very old component, so I need some help. I need to make a small form factor desktop, micro ATX, graphic card integrated, nothing special, the 85% of the time is spent on the terminal, sometime I need to surf the web via Iceweasel, watch some movie, I don't need 3D acceleration.
But I want to make a good quality desktop.

For exemple: the Intel® Desktop Board DH87RL

Form factor
Micro-ATX
AA# (Altered Assembly)
G74240-xxx
BIOS ID string
RLH8710D.86A
Processor
At product launch, this desktop board supports 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7/i5/i3/Celeron® processors in an LGA1150 socket.
View all compatible Intel® processor numbers
Memory
Two 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM dual inline memory module (DIMM) sockets
Support for DDR3 1600 /1333 MHz DIMMs
Support for up to 32 GB of system memory
Chipset
Intel® H87 Chipset
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology, supports RAID 0,1,5,10
Intel® Smart Response Technology
Intel® Rapid Start Technology
Intel® Smart Connect Technology
Graphics        VGA and DVI-D connector for processors with Intel® HD Graphics
Audio
Intel® High Definition Audio1 (Intel® HD Audio) subsystem in the following configuration:
10-channel (7.1+2) audio subsystem with five stack analog audio outputs.
LAN support
Gigabit Ethernet controller
Peripheral interfaces
Six USB 3.0 ports (4 external ports, 2 via internal headers)
Eight USB 2.0 ports (2 external ports, 5 via internal headers, 1 via Mini PCIe* slot)
Six serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (1 port via mSATA connector)
Expansion capabilities
Three PCI Express* 2.0 x1 slots
One full-size/half-size PCIe Mini Card slot with support for mSATA Solid-State Drive

is a good solution for a fully free desktop?

In addition to the motherboard, what other hardware I need to consider for make a fully free machine?

Thank's for the help and sorry for my english

stef