Re: [gNewSense-users] some issues

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] some issues
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 14:48:36 +0200

Hello.

> gns3 runs on my lemote yeeloong. yeah nice thing! But its a bit slow.
> How can I speed it up?

Some things won't be fast (the CPU is single-core and slow, the GPU has
no modern acceleration, many packages miss CPU-specific optimizations),
others can be done in faster ways.  What specific issues do you see?

> Even the boot process took some while. Or is it normal?

How do you boot it?  I use PMON to boot the kernel directly, without
initrd, it's faster than with an initrd or via GRUB from PMON.  I
haven't tried optimizing the init system used in gNewSense; I used
systemd on Parabola before and it was fast.

> I find the epiphany browser crashes a lot. Thanks for iceweasel!

It is a known and reported bug.

> At least for the moment, some windows are too big and I cant small
> them. Any suggestions for these problems?

Some window managers support moving windows while holding alt, it's
useful in this case.