Re: [gNewSense-users] Why OpenOffice instead of LibreOffice in Parkes?

From: Marek Buras
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Why OpenOffice instead of LibreOffice in Parkes?
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 11:58:59 +0200

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 03:14:33PM +0530, Karunakaran .M wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> I installed 'parkes' in 'livecd', checked for problems and it is cool.
> All features are working properly.
>
> 1. Can I un-install gNewSense 2.3 and install 'Parkes' for permanent use?

If livecd works without problems then I think you can go for Parkes on bare
metal.
I use it on daily basis since September 2012 (tried it earlier also and haven't
experienced any problems besides incorrect branding ;-))

In my opinion it's usable for average user but your mileage may vary.

> 2. Why LibreOffice is not a default office application in 'parkes'?

It's mostly because OpenOffice.org has been packaged in Debian Squeeze (on
which gNewSense is based) and the project is so low on human resources that
people prefer to focus on other tasks they consider more important. Moreover
OO.org version that you can find in gNewSense has been modified, so it does not
contain nor it suggests extensions that does not respect your freedom to use
and share the software. I don't think there are many differences between
OO.org and LibreOffice for the average user but well... that's me ;-)

Happy hacking!
--
Marek Buras
cyfr0n (at) sdf !dot org