Re: [gNewSense-users] make-doc not on the repository

From: Marek Buras
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] make-doc not on the repository
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 10:34:43 +0200

Hi Chris!

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 09:46:41PM -0400, Chris Murphy wrote:
> I was trying to get the documentation for GNU make, so I typed `apt-cache
> show make` to see if that suggested any doc packages.  It says that
> there is a package called make-doc, but when I tried to `apt-get install
> make-doc`, it gave this:
>
>     Reading package lists... Done
>     Building dependency tree
>     Reading state information... Done
>     Package make-doc is not available, but is referred to by another package.
>     This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
>     is only available from another source
>
>     E: Package 'make-doc' has no installation candidate
>
> Do I have to enable a separate repository to download this package,
> or is it missing?  Thanks!

This package has been moved to non-free in Debian but it hasn't been moved back
to main in gNewSense yet (gNS doesn't consider it nonfree). Meanwhile you can
build your own package using Debian sources:

$ apt-get build-dep make-doc
[this will install all dependencies needed for building the package]
$ dget
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/m/make-doc-non-dfsg/make-doc-non-dfsg_3.81-5.dsc
$ dpkg-source -x make-doc-non-dfsg_3.81-5.dsc
And then in the directory containing the source:
$ debuild -uc -us
You should be able to install deb packages created this way without problems.
If something is unclear or seems wrong, "man" will be your best friend ;-)

I hope I'll be able to work on documentation while at home this weekend.

Happy hacking!
--
Marek Buras
cyfr0n (at) sdf !dot org