Re: [gNewSense-users] On using wifi on Yeelong 8089 with Parkes

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] On using wifi on Yeelong 8089 with Parkes
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 12:10:58 -0400

Hi!  I am using a Yeeloong 8089-B, and I have gotten wireless internet
to work.  I'm not sure if your laptop works differently from mine,
but here is how I connect.

First, make sure the system's wireless is turned on after you boot.
When my computer boots, the wireless is turned off, so after logging in
I hold the Fn key and hit F5.  After a few seconds, the wireless LED on
the bottom right of my laptop lights up.

I don't use GNOME, so I don't know how to connect to the internet from
there, but you can use the command-line frontend for NetworkManager called
"cnetworkmanager" to connect with a terminal.  If cnetworkmanager isn't
installed yet, plug into an Ethernet cable and install the cnetworkmanager
package.  Then, log in as root and run this command to list access points:

    # cnetworkmanager -a

If that worked, it will list the access points near you.  Find the SSID
of the network you want to connect to, and then run this command:

    # cnetworkmanager -C <ssid> --wpa-pass=<password>

where <ssid> is the SSID you want to connect to and <password> is the
WPA password.  So on a NETGEAR-2.4-G with the WPA password "password",
you would connect like this:

    # cnetworkmanager -C NETGEAR-2.4-G --wpa-pass=password

If everything is set up properly, it should connect.  Press Ctrl-Z to
take it out of the foreground, then run this command to turn it into a
background process:

    # bg

Then test your connection:

    # ping -c 2 google.com