Re: [gNewSense-users] On installation of Parkes

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] On installation of Parkes
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 23:08:37 +0200

Op Wed, 29 May 2013 20:05:21 +0900
schreef YAMAMOTO Kentaro <address@hidden>:

> 1. Is it possible for me to update the distribution by using apt, not
> by booting from USB or something?

Yes, you can replace your sources.list file, but don't expect this to
go smooothly. I had to handle some broken dependencies along the way
when I did the upgrade. I used aptitude, maybe apt-get works better for
it.

> 2. Do I have to use debootstrapping to install parkes from scratch, or
> can I boot from USB flash memory?

You can put the netboot image and kernel [1] on a USB drive and boot
from that.

> 3. It seems that Debian now ships with blob-free Linux.  In what way
> is Parks different from the version of Debian (I believe it's Squeeze)
> on which it is based?

gNewSense does not steer you towards non-free software, e.g. the
installer and kernel don't ask you to provide non-free firmware,
browsers don't suggest non-free plugins, video players don't encourage
the use of non-free codecs. In short, people who care about software
freedom can be assured that any software, documentation or media they
install by using the package manager or scripts that download from
third parties or by following suggestions in documentation respects
that freedom.

[1]
http://beta.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-three/gnewsense/dists/parkes/main/installer-mipsel/current/images/loongson-2f/netboot/