Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense 3.0 "Parkes" Beta 1

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense 3.0 "Parkes" Beta 1
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 21:35:09 +0200

Op Mon, 27 May 2013 17:50:04 -0400
schreef dww <address@hidden>:

> I installed the Beta using mini.iso installed on a USB stick using
> FSUSBi on an older desktop machine.

Thanks for testing.

> The only 2 issues that I saw were
>
> 1. On a slaved hard drive I have Windows XP with NTFS format. The
> install process recognized it and the message seemed to imply it was
> going to be added as secondary boot option in Grub. When the
> installation process was complete Windows XP was not an option in the
> Grub boot menu.  Not that I really care about XP anymore but that it
> should be reported as an issue for newer users switching from Windows.

Check your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file for any reference to the missing
drive. Perhaps the configuration contains an error or the entries were
commented out for some reason.

> 2. The KDE GUI environment was installed by default. I have always
> used Gnome and earlier installs of gNewSense installed Gnome by
> default including the Parkes Alpha installer.  On the login page
> Gnome was not a SessionType option.

I tried the beta1 mini.iso again myself. The graphical desktop
environment option installed Gnome for me. Did you select any other
special option?

> 3. It seems that root is no longer a "user" one can log into. Earlier
> versions of gNewSense had the 'admin' user but perhaps that was an
> Ubuntu thing.

I can log in succesfully as root on a console. It's generally not a
good idea to log in as root in the GUI. On gNewSense 2 members of the
admin group may gain root privileges. On Parkes the same goes for the
sudo group.

> Otherwise every else seem smooth.

Excellent.

> Let me know if installing with the Live CD would be worthwhile to
> test.

Will be announced on this list.