Re: [gNewSense-users] carl9170-1.fw

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] carl9170-1.fw
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 16:59:19 +0100

>> I have a USB wireless network adapter that requires the carl9170
>> firmware. Unfortunately, its not included in Parkes.
>
> Why is that? If the firmware is not free you will not get help
> installing it here; see the community guidelines for more details.

See http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/carl9170.fw, it is free
(with source and under GPLv2).

I know that this firmware wasn't provided by default in older Trisquel
releases, so this isn't a problem only for devices without free drivers;
Debian Squeeze seems to have one for this chipset only in non-free.

>> According to these instructions [0], it should automatically work if you
>> move "carl9170-1.fw" to "/usr/local/lib/firmware" (I also tried
>> "/lib/firmware"), but it didn't happen. What is the problem?

Debian Squeeze has a different driver for this chipset, these
instructions apply only to Wheezy.  Try a different unofficial kernel
with the new driver?