Re: [gNewSense-users] why not to provide a fully functional gnewsense sy

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] why not to provide a fully functional gnewsense system image?
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 12:19:54 +0200

Joaquín Cuéllar wrote:
Hi everybody!

I've been trying out gnewsense for months with my *lemote yeelong*, and it
has been frustrating because the debian installation
bug<https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?32865>is not repaired yet, and
i've been migrating from a fully operational
debian machine (with a lot of packages mismatches and errors already
unsolved)

So I come here with a question/proposal , and it's why not to provide an
already fully operational system instead the installation files? I've just
installed gentoo and they provide a very easy (and stable) installation
method <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/mips/yeeloong.xml>

Although a lot of effort was put in Metad, it never really got to a state where it was ready for release (and so there never was an actual official release). The repository was kept online for those who had installed it. When Debian Lenny (on which it's based) was deprecated, it became less justifiable to spend time on it with our small team, in part because we already began work on a Squeeze based version (Parkes) to keep up.

Meanwhile, I've been focussing on Parkes (see gnewsense-dev mailing list for progress reports). Producing an image that can just be extracted to disk (like Gentoo) might have been a bit less work than creating an installer. But my estimate was that there would be requests for the flexibility of an installer anyway, so I chose to work on that. Anyone feeling a great need for an extractable image after I will have officially released Parkes can open a bug report for it (and contribute to making it happen if he can).