Re: [gNewSense-users] Installation and Software for Multimedia

From: Andrew Roffey
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Installation and Software for Multimedia
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 15:02:03 +1000

Wally Lepore wrote:
> Yes r. siddharth, I appreciate that. Stable is important.By the way, I
> need to be educated on this next question. Why should I care if a
> specific Linux distro is old verses a newer version distro such as
> Ubuntu 12.04? Is it so newer programs can run on it?

It is possible to run some newer software on a completely free OS. eg.
at the moment I'm running GNU IceCat 12.0 and LibreOffice 3.5.5 on gNS 2.3.

Of course I'm not trying to push anyone away from gNS. But, perhaps if
having newer software was a priority for you, you could try another free OS:
https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

More specifically, Parabola and Trisquel GNU/Linux have more recent
software on them.

john beddard wrote:
> [...] Plus the fact
> whatever Richard Stallman has said about free software has been borne
> out in reality. Windows8 will contain intrusive surveillance, such as
> facial recognition, that will be linkable to personal details. With
> Apple also moving in the same direction. So using free software makes
> sense to me.

That's very interesting. I did an internet search and found a few
stories on that. Why on earth anyone would attach an OS like Windows (or
Xbox) to a camera (like Kinect system) is beyond me.

I also remember reading Microsoft's Xbox TOU which doesn't rule out the
possibility that they can snoop using connected cameras if the
government asks them to. Cameras, sound recorders and GPS devices are
yet another compelling reason to use Free Software exclusively these
days (of course there are other reasons :) ).

Andrew.