Re: [gNewSense-users] [OT] Steps to create a mailbox

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] [OT] Steps to create a mailbox
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 20:07:03 +1000

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 04:08:28 +0400
Stayvoid <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This question is a newbish one, but I can't find a good explanation.
>
> What should I do to create my own mailbox?

do you mean 'How do I set up a mail server with its own name on my
server to receive email'?

> Will it be enough to do the following:
> 1. Configure a zone file
> How should I name my MX records? Are there any conventions on this?
> Should I configure them up on the mailserver side first?
>
> 2. Install bind9
> Is it necessary?

How you can configure a zone file without a name server? surely this is
step one? The only other way this is possible is if you use a remote
DNS service.

> 3. Install the mailserver (e.g. Postfix)

Thought i'd note that exim is installed by default, but you can install
anything.
thanks,

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK7FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au
*** I've changed GPG key to 6C097260 ***