Re: [gNewSense-users] Mounting/partitioning inside a VM

From: Kim Hawtin
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Mounting/partitioning inside a VM
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 10:35:22 +0930

Hi Stayvoid,

Perhaps the first question is, why do you want to slice up the file system in this way?

I would consider it unusual to split off /tmp, /var, /var/tmp and /var/mail in this way unless you were shifting a very large amount of mail.

And then to separate disks, not all on the same volume/disk.

As you seem to be running a Xen VM, I would expect you are not going to get a performance increase. It makes it much more likely that one of these file systems is going to fill and halt which ever process that doing the work in that file system.

This is a fun exercise that I would recommend doing in a VM on your desktop or laptop first. Not on a remote machine, because bad things can happen. Been there, done that ;)