Re: [gNewSense-users] Backup methods

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Backup methods
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2012 19:48:40 +0200

Stayvoid wrote:
Are you hoping to do a 'bare metal restore'? (a snapshot of the machine
as it was at that moment). If so, you need almost everything. (Auto
generated things like /proc, /dev and /tmp are obvious exceptions).
Yes.

I don't want to configure everything if I break something.
So I'm looking for a script which can backup everything and restore
everything back.

I believe MondoRescue can do a full backup of a live system and easily restore it from bare metal.

But I want to know which dirs should be copied.

You said "everything", so that's / minus /proc, /dev, /tmp and /sys.