Re: [gNewSense-users] Non-root chroot and PAM

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Non-root chroot and PAM
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 08:24:36 +1000

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 21:11:50 +0400
Stayvoid <address@hidden> wrote:

> > You need root privileges to chroot.
> Just to be clear. I was talking about the following:
> Bad guy cracks my password and installs another distro on a different
> disk. Then it tries to chroot into my system.

YOou've missed some info here - how does he install anything? are you
talking about on a VPS? ( I suspect you are).

> Yes, he has a root on a new system, but I don't want to give him a
> root access to the current system. But I want to be able to chroot
> from another system (like he did) and to get user privileges on the
> chroot.
> Is it possible?

If he has owned your web administration UI thingy and can install new
OS' I'd say its not possible. Instead of chrooting he could just mount
it on /mnt and change the pam settings to do whatever he wants anyway.
(or simply extract the information he wants then dd 'lol' over your
boot sector).
thanks,

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK7FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au
*** I've changed GPG key to 6C097260 ***