Re: [gNewSense-users] GNU IceCat

From: christophe . jarry
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] GNU IceCat
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 13:55:48 +0200

Hi Stayvoid,

Packages at
https://launchpad.net/~gnuzilla-team/+archive/ppa/+packages are built
for Ubuntu and as such only support i386 and x86_64 architectures.

As far as I understand your message, you want to install GNU IceCat
on MIPS (Lemote machine with a Loongson processor).

I built GNU IceCat 3.6.16 for MIPS some time ago with the help of the
files I found under
https://launchpad.net/~gnuzilla-team/+archive/ppa/+packages and the
doc on http://www.gnewsense.org/Building_A_deb_Package.  You can
download the .deb package under
http://christophe.jarry.ouvaton.org/gnu-linux/gnewsense/parkes/.

If you want to build the package from source, you have to comment out
the following line in the file named ".mozconfig":

    ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-pipe -O3"

(See
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnuzilla/2011-02/msg00030.html
for more details).

If you want to build a more recent version, you may be interested by
the content of
http://debian.bjlx.org.cn/loongson2f/squeeze/iceweasel/: there are
several patches named firefox-X.0-loongson-1.patch that you may apply
on GNU IceCat sources. Those patches, AFAICS, replace Firefox
Javascript engine with Webkit one. I have not tried those patches
though.

Christophe