Re: [gNewSense-users] [Xorg] (EE) [drm] failed to open device

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] [Xorg] (EE) [drm] failed to open device
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 13:22:47 -0500

Stayvoid <address@hidden> writes:

> Could you be more specific?
> It will be better if you provide a step-by-step guide.
>
> I've already installed the latest Linux-libre kernel and configured it.

Since you stated earlier that your system failed to load a nouveau
kernel module, I suspect that the kernel package that you already
installed does *not* contain that module.  Therefore, you will have to
prepare a custom package for yourself from *sources*.

*Do something like the following*

1. Install the fakeroot and kernel-package utilities:

$ sudo apt-get install kernel-package fakeroot

2. Download linux-libre kernel sources:

 $ wget
http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/releases/3.2.5-libre/linux-3.2.5-libre.tar.bz2

3. Unpack and configure

 $ tar jxf linux-3.2.5-libre.tar.bz2
 $ cd linux-3.2.5
 $ make menuconfig

     If you are new to configuring the kernel, be prepared to learn some
     things about your system!  I'm sure there are plenty of good online
     guides about configuring the kernel.  Just follow one of them.  If
     you still have a question after consulting your docs, search for
     the answer online.  If that also fails, ask here.

     In particular, you will see the "Device Drivers" category and then
     the "Staging Drivers" subcategory.  Within that is the Nouveau
     driver that you need to select.

4. Build your custom kernel package:

 $ fakeroot make-kpkg clean && fakeroot make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot
--revision=1 kernel_image

5. Install the package:

 $ dpkg -i ../linux-image-3.2.5-libre_1_*

6. Reboot.  If you are prompted by a boot loader upon startup, be sure
your new kernel is selected.

I hope this helps.  The advice is somewhat generic, and there are much
better guides online.

Cheers,
Bake