Re: [gNewSense-users] A case of older software outdoing newer

From: Niklas Cholmkvist
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] A case of older software outdoing newer
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 15:28:50 +0300

Hi,

> Lest ye envy thy neighbor's newer nonfree software, note that newer is
> not always better!
Even in the free world, newer is not necessarily better either. Take the
Bitcoin software as an example. I've used Bitcoin program versions from
0.3.20.2 to 0.3.24 and noticed that in later versions of Bitcoin a
transaction fee is no longer optional as it was before.
This could be misleading for users who don't understand the technology
to believe that Bitcoin needs all transactions to have a transaction
fee, but that's not true. If I send Bitcoins somewhere and don't use a
transaction fee then it may take a long or a very long time for it to be
processed(added to a newly created block, technically).

That's why I prefer sending with older software(which doesn't stop my
transaction and say that I did an error in not adding a transaction
fee), because I'm only experimenting with the network and I'm not in a
hurry at all.

Cheers,
--
Niklas Cholmkvist

Public GPG/PGP key block
ID:           1024D/C09E670B
Fingerprint:  8487 ECE3 8ED9 870B BB56  95E7 9AD2 946A C09E 670B
Key download:
https://sites.google.com/site/towardsfloss/main-page/NiklasCholmkvist.asc
[Please, do not send my key to any keyserver]