Re: [gNewSense-users] IceCat 5: Update failure message

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] IceCat 5: Update failure message
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 09:36:01 +0200

Snoopys Woodstock wrote:
    *Von:* Joerg Kohne <address@hidden>

    IceCats ppa for gNS Hardy is no longer available!

    Download simply the source code, from
    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/5.0/

    trio of ./configure, make, make install, (see info files) and have fun
    again...

I doubt this will work because the reason why IceCat PPA is no longer available for gNS 2.x is because to compile it you need software that's not included in 2.x.

    What is this trio of ...? I mean, I've never installed a programm on
    gNS manually. I always used the console by typing apt-get install
    ... or used the aptitude. I realy don't know where to place the
    program and what EXACTLY need to do. Would you take some time to
    explaine me slowly step by step, please?

    Thanks, and I realy want to understand it better

Quick overview to compile software from source (## = comment, $ = command):

## Get compilers etc.
$ sudo aptitude install build-essential
## Get libraries and other build dependencies (if the package
## exists in the distribution).
$ sudo apt-get build-dep <package>
## Get tool that enables clean uninstalling.
$ sudo aptitude install checkinstall
## Unpack the sources and get in there.
$ tar -xf sources.tar.bz2  &&  cd sources
## Prepare for compiling. If this gives any error you probably
## need to install more libraries.
$ ./configure
## Start compiling.
$ make