Re: [gNewSense-users] How connect to my WinXP-Home machine with firewall

From: Snoopys Woodstock
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] How connect to my WinXP-Home machine with firewall?
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 17:45:58 +0100 (BST)

Snoopys Woodstock wrote:
>> 1) Open a terminal.
>> 2) Enter "iptables -L > /tmp/iptables.txt"
>> 3) Enter "tail -f /var/log/messages > /tmp/ufwlog.txt"
>> 4) Try to connect to the share again.
>> 5) After you get the error, go back to the terminal and press Ctrl-C.
>> 6) Post both files (/tmp/iptables.txt and /tmp/ufwlog.txt) here.
>
> The files are attached.

The ufw log only shows attempts to connect to the printing service.
I realized that the ports I told you to open earlier are actually not relevant, because they only need to be open on the machine with the shared folders, not the machine that wants to access them.
I tried to reproduce your problem. I set ufw's policy to deny and then tried to connect to a Samba shared folder on another machine with nautilus-connect-server. It just worked. Now I don't know what could be causing your problem or how you could solve it.

Hm... it seemed very easy to share files with the XP but I'm afraid it wouldn't be safe to disable the firewall.